The term hypoallergenic means anything less likely to cause allergy or trigger an allergic reaction. It is most commonly used for cosmetics or textiles.
When it comes to the hypo allergenic mattress cover, it means the covers that don’t let the allergens penetrate and accumulate into the mattress like they usually do. They effectively prevent the propagation of these allergens and relieve the symptoms of allergy.
Typically, when a mattress cover is not used, mattress often becomes the hub of allergen accumulation. Most of them are living and can increase in the numbers. This can lead to several allergic reactions. This can manifest in the form of watery eyes, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose, or skin conditions. With subsequent exposure, the symptoms can get worse.
You might also like our review on Best Waterproof Mattress Protectors that is available on separate page.
What are the Most Common Allergens?
There are several kinds of living and non-living stuff that can lead to an allergic reaction. Below are some common allergens that are associated with mattress. Even if they don’t trigger severe allergic reactions, they are responsible for causing irritation and disturbances in the respiratory tract or skin conditions.
- Dust and mites: dust and dust mites together become the culprits of triggering an allergic reaction. Dust itself is not a problem, but when it combines with mites, the issues exacerbate. Dust mites are microscopic creatures that feed on dirt. Like all organisms, they produce excreta that become the causative agent of allergy. They settle down in a mattress and exacerbate the symptoms.
- Pollen: This is another notorious allergy trigger. Like dust, they are also pretty widely distributed and are in significant numbers. A gush of wind can easily carry them inside the house and into your mattress. They settle down and remain there. So when you sleep in bed at night, the same agents are responsible for giving you a runny nose.
- Mold spores: mildews and spores are also prevalent in the environment around. Like pollen, spores are how fungi grow when the conditions are favorable. These spores can also make their way to your mattress and accumulate there. When you breathe while sleeping, they can make their way into your respiratory system and cause problems.
- Pet dander: our pet dogs, cats, and birds also shed microscopic and particles of skin. A small amount of shedding is not a problem for many people. But the vast collection can be troublesome. This vast accumulation can happen in your mattress, especially if your pets sleep in the same bed. These flecks also become the food to many bacteria, which can also lead to allergic reactions.
Why Get Hypo Allergenic Mattress Cover?
When it comes to allergies and fighting off allergens, hypoallergenic covers come in handy. Additionally, they are designed to give some additional benefits. Following are some of the great reasons to get a hypoallergenic cover:
- Manage the symptoms of allergies: mattress covers, mainly hypoallergenic, are beneficial in minimizing the allergic symptoms. In case you have asthma, or eczema hypoallergenic covers are good investment to get the symptoms under control.
- Peaceful sleep: mattress covers don’t let the allergens reach into the mattress. Is this way, they don’t cause any irritations and trigger reactions. Welcome to the good night’s sleep and wake up fresh every day. The bonus feature; says goodbye to the runny nose.
- Waterproofing: apart from being hypoallergenic, nearly all covers have waterproofing. This saves your mattress from all kinds of liquid seepage and odors. These are perfect for the use of babies and pets. Moreover, have breakfast in bed without worrying about spilling coffee.
- Enhance the life of your mattress: the fantastic features combined help increase the life of your mattress. You will not have to worry about dust and mold. Take off the cover, wash it, and put it on. The bed will not produce an odor or develop a yellow tint.
- Keep out the bedbugs: in addition to microscopic organism mattress covers, also keep out the bugs. No more waking up to insect bites forms the night—moreover, undisturbed sleep and no sleepless nights.
Things to Consider While Buying a Hypo Allergenic Mattress Cover?
There are a lot of mattress covers available in the market. You buy the one best suited for you is essential. In that case, you will need the list of things you need to keep in mind while buying.
Material: most hypoallergenic covers are made from cotton, blended cotton, polyurethane, or polyester. Look for these materials, as they are hypoallergenic. Cotton made cover with organic threads is often preferred by most people.
Free from harmful chemicals: vinyl and phytates are often used in the manufactures. These chemicals are toxic and pose a health risk. Make sure that the cover is advertised as chemical-free. It is also best to look for relevant certifications.
Thread count: it is also essential in making the encasement allergen-free and waterproof. The more the thread count more effective, the cover will be against micro-particles. Look for the thread count mentioned on the cover. If it is none there, inquire from the relevant company.
Noiseless: some protectors have plastic-y and noisy texture. This can change the feel of your mattress and disturb the sleep. Always look for the ones advertise as noiseless and soft. This will let you keep the mattress feel.
Breathability: it is vital to have a cover that absorbs sweat for a good night’s sleep. A stuffy or thick plastic cover will make you sweat a lot and retain heat. It is essential to look for airflow technology and thermal repulsion in mattress covers.
Durability: a long-lasting thing is always a good investment. It is crucial to get the cover that has an extended warranty and replacement policy. Go for the protection that has at least five years of guaranty; longer is even better.
Zippered vs. fitted sheet: your preference can vary when it comes to zippered or fitted mattress protector. A fitted cover is easy to put on and remove. Zippered can take a long time and additional help. Moreover, a zippered mattress offers better protection on all sides as compared to fitted. So choose wisely what you require.
Now let’s dive dep and see which are some of the best hypoallergenic mattress cover available in the market for you.
10 Best Hypo Allergenic Mattress Covers
To make a lit of best allergen defenders for your mattress we review more then 50 mattress covers while considering the guideline discussed above and finally we select ten best ones to share with our readers.
1. National Allergy Control Mattress Protector
- The ultimate best for allergies – this hypoallergenic mattress cover is the ultimate solution for people who suffer from different allergies throughout the year.
- Zippered – as the hypoallergenic mattress cover is zippered so it provides microscopic protection against different allergens.
- It does not take away the feel – the mattress cover is not stiff and does not take away the feel of your mattress.
This is the perfect mattress cover for allergy-prone people. It is washable and does not shrink in water. The protector has the thread count or 300 and is 100% cotton made. Moreover, it is a perfect allergen barrier with microscope protection down to microns. It is a zippered cover that offers excellent protection on all six sides. With steady airflow, it does let you sweat and absorbs any residue. It is non-stiff and does not take away the feel of your mattress. This cover offers immense comfort. The built is noiseless to regulate your sleep cycle. It also repels bedbugs and dust mites.
- Peacefully noiseless
- An amazing asset.
2. Allergy Relief by AllerEase Zippered Mattress
- It acts as a barrier – anything that has the potential to cause you allergy will be restricted by this perfect hypoallergenic mattress cover.
- Zippered – the hypoallergenic mattress cover is zippered from all the six sides and does not allow the penetration of any irritant or allergen.
- Keeps the mattress odor-free – having this mattress cover means having an odor-free mattress.
This synthetic cover is an ideal solution against bedbugs and allergies. It helps prevent the accumulation of microscopic particles that trigger the allergy. The cover is a blend of polyester and nylon, designed specifically to combat allergies. It is a waterproof design and does not let the bodily fluid reach the mattress. This ensures a clean and fresh mattress all the time. The foams stay odor-free for longer times, and the mattress lasts longer. You can easily clean it by machine wash. It is zippered and fits the mattress perfectly. Moreover, it releases heat and keeps you comfortable throughout the night.
- The mattress cover ensures quality sleep.
- It is noiseless
3. Linenspa Zippered Waterproof Hypoallergenic Breathable Protector
- Light – this hypoallergenic mattress cover is not stiff and does not kill the feel of your mattress.
- Asthma Protection – the mattress cover will protect you against any triggers that can cause asthma because of the hypoallergenic characteristics.
- Easy to clean – it is very easy to clean this mattress cover because it can be washed in a machine.
This is a premium quality hypoallergenic mattress cover that is suitable for the whole family. It is an invisible-zip mattress cover and offers holistic protection. Additionally, it is waterproof and bedbug proof. It does not let the dust mite accumulate and keep your allergies at bay. Made from smooth and light fabric, this mattress cover does not give of stuffy or heavy feeling. Ensuring mattress feel lets you get the undisturbed night sleep. It is both machines washable and tumbles dry safely. The wrinkle-free construct does not give off plastic feels.
- It is smooth to touch.
- Very easy to wash and clean.
4. HOSPITOLOGY PRODUCTS Zippered Mattress Encasement
The mattress protector is polyester made with extra soft knit. It’s no sweat formula that does not let the heat trapped within the layer. Additionally, it has a cooling effect on the skin. Being waterproof it also repels water and other fluids. The cover is available in a wide range of sizes. It is a perfect hypoallergenic barrier on all six sides. It is bug proof and protects against allergens, spores, and molds.
This helps to ease asthma and other respiratory conditions. It helps regulate peaceful sleep at night. The company offers five years of warranty on this cover.
5. SureGuard Hypoallergenic Mattress Encasement
Among other features this encasement possesses, this cover is specifically designed from protection against allergens. It is a fitted sheet zippered protector made from 100% cotton. The covering does not let allergens accumulate your mattress. Moreover, it is also helpful against dust mites and bed bugs. It has an innovative invisi-Zipper, and the bottom side of the mattress is also fully protected. It is also available in crib size, which perfects for the use of babies.
This cover is free from toxic chemicals, and no vinyl is present in the constituents. It wicked away from the moisture and retained the feel of the mattress. It has ten years’ guaranty and Greenguard gold certification.
6. LUCID Protector
This hypoallergenic mattress protector is made from a cotton terry surface with a polyurethane backing. The perfect blend keeps all the allergen away. It is 100% waterproof and repels water and all kinds of other liquids. In addition that is offers protection from allergens, dust, and mites. It is an ultrathin design, so the comfort of your mattress remains intact.
The elasticized fitted sheet offers seamless coverage and protection. All its benefits help regulate the sleep-wake cycle. The breathable finish allows airflow and prevents sweating.
7. SLEEP TITE Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector
This specialized hypoallergenic mattress is made from polyurethane. It comes in a wide range of sizes for all the bedrooms. The fitted sheet design can be perfect for the depth of up to 22 inches. It is a great choice for people with asthma or eczema. The covering offers protections against allergens of all kinds. It is a waterproof finish that prevents fluid seeping into the mattress.
Airflow technology preventing sweating and circulate the air. This develops a comfy sleep and cozy environment throughout the night. There are no harmful chemicals used in manufacturing.
8. TRU Lite Bedding Hypoallergenic Mattress Cover
This encasement is made from cotton terry, which is a 100% pure thread. It helps to keep out the allergens of all kinds. The company designs the covering in several available sizes. Waterproof offers protection from accidental spills, sweat, and odors. The blend is crinkle-free and soundproof. There is no use of harmful chemicals like PVC or phytates.
The deep pocket fitted sheet design offers non-bumpy coverage. It can be machine washed and tumble dried. Holistically the cover lets you sleep comfortably at night. It is a breathable design that also protects against dust and mite.
9. Bedecor Queen Size Waterproof Mattress Protector
This encasement is hypoallergenic protection made from cotton terry. It is OEKO-TEX certified for protection against known allergens. It is ideal for the use in allergies, asthma, and eczema. It has a membrane back coating that makes it waterproof and airy.
The breathable covering lets your body breathe at night and does not retain heat. It is wrinkle-free and does not fold under the bedsheet. The noiseless material does not disturb the peaceful sleep. It is a perfect option for the whole family.
10. AmazonBasics Hypoallergenic Waterproof Fitted Mattress Protector Cover
This mattress encasement is a blend of 80% cotton and 20% polyester. The surface is made from hypoallergenic cotton terry that repels the allergens. It is a quiet barrier that does not wrinkle or produce sound. The covering is available in several different sizes. It is a perfect protection against liquid spills, stains, and odor. This is helpful in extending the life of your mattress.
The fitted sheet pocket can fit on 18 inches deep mattress. It is washable and tumbles dryer safe. The cover is certified for high safety and environmental standards.
A hypoallergenic mattress cover is very effective against allergens and irritants. if you are suffering from asthma or any other skin allergy then having this hypoallergenic mattress cover will sougt out most of your issues.
Now that we have reviewed some of the best hypoallergenic mattress covers it is time for you to make a choice for a healthy lifestyle.